Winchester Electronics specializes in cable assembly overmolding, using the most durable raw materials to withstand harsh environmental conditions, abrasion, and sterilization procedures.
Overmolding, or Injection Molding, is a process that utilizes molten plastic material injected into a mold cavity; this solidifies into a shape that conforms to the contour of the mold. This makes it possible to encapsulate almost any product in any shape with variables in material, color, and finish. Winchester primarily utilizes thermoplastic materials such as PVCs (polyvinyl chloride), polyamides, polyurethanes, santoprene and others to produce custom cable assemblies solutions.
In most cases, a two-cavity system is implemented to increase throughput. Each cavity can be identical to form the same parts, or can be unique to form different aspects of the part during a single cycle. A typical application would include a pre-shot of natural (non-colored) materials followed up with a colored, finished, outer mold.
Winchester Electronics’ cable assembly molds are made from hardened tooled steel for volume production. Winchester also uses aluminum molds for small runs and prototypes to keep costs down and shorten lead times.
Overmold cable assemblies are generally custom in nature and application. The overmolded area is typically in place of a backshell or is used to form a junction, provide strain relief, or encapsulate an object.
The advantage of overmolding is the potential for nearly limitless configurations and design elements, improving environmental characteristics, reliability, and aesthetics. There are numerous overmold applications for all of the wire harness and cable assembly products that Winchester manufactures, and a limitless variety of interconnects.
Military Market Applications
Strain relief overmold for military MIL-38999 connectors and many unique interconnects are used in military applications. Low pressure and injection molding processes produce rugged molded custom cables assemblies for various harsh environments.
Medical Market Applications
Winchester Electronics’ medical custom overmolded cable assemblies are all unique in their applications, utilizing component / PCB encapsulation, 360-degree EMI / RFI shielding, and multiple breakouts, providing watertight and ETO sterilization compatibility.
All Market Applications
Overmolding will provide durable custom cable assemblies that have excellent environmental resistance, mechanical strength, flexibility in design, and aesthetic look and feel.
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
- Polypropylene (PP)
- Polyethylene (PE)
- Santoprene (TPV)
- Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS)
- Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU)
Additional materials available to meet customer product requirements.
Features & Benefits
- Improved quality and durability
- Reliable performance by implementing straight, right-angle, or any other exit required to meet your application, locating the cable assembly where you need it and reducing design restrictions
- Improved strain relief and flexibility
- Overmolded cable assemblies offer 360-degree strain relief, improved pull strength, and flexible support at the cable exit. With the majority of movement between the cable and connector occurring at the cable exit, overmolding improves performance and enhances the cable life. Overmolded breakouts, at any angle or configuration, provide much needed protection and strain relief
- Environmental performance advantages
- Overmolding offers protection against the elements, abrasion resistance, and EMI (electro-magnetic Interference) performance. Sealing of the components offers water-resistant and watertight encapsulation. The overmolding process will encapsulate most of your sensitive electronics so they remain undisturbed and protected, and provides a cost-effective alternative to expensive metal back shells through the wrapping of the pre-mold in EMI copper foil before final mold process.
- Overmolding will improve the quality, look and feel of your custom molded cable assembly. Custom shapes, colors, configurations, and even company logos, help reach the highest quality and aesthetic standards.